Faqs For A Speech And Language Pathologist

Speech and Language specialists are all around to help students with their impediments or disorders so that in the classroom and outside the classroom, they can be more successful when trying to say what is in their head or what they are reading. Speech Pathologists specialize in meeting these child's needs, but what does one do? And where can they be located?

Speech pathologists can help many people, children and adults, with their speech and language problems. Pathologists can help communication disabilities that range from all difficulties. Treatment will vary based on the age of the person, the severity of the problem and the amount of awareness to the problem. Speech and Language Pathologists will:

* Help individuals with articulation disorders to learn how to say speech sounds correctly.
* Assist individuals with voice disorders to develop proper control of the vocal and respiratory systems for correct voice production.
* Assist individuals who stutter to increase their fluency.
* Help children with language disorders to improve language comprehension and production (e.g., grammar, vocabulary, and conversation, and story-telling skills.)
* Assist individuals with aphasia to improve comprehension of speech and reading and production of spoken and written language.
* Assist individuals with severe communication disorders with the use of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) systems, including speech-generating devices (SGDs).
* Help individuals with speech and language disorders and their communication partners understand the disorders to achieve more effective communication in educational, social, and vocational settings.
* Advise individuals and the community on how to prevent speech and language disorders.

Besides doing all of this for people, pathologists are also trained to help people with their accent and help modify their accents so people can understand the more, even if they don't have communication disorders. They can help with swallowing disorders and cognitive-communication disorders, which is "the impairment of cognitive processes including attention, memory, abstract reasoning, awareness, and executive functions (e.g., self-monitoring, planning and problem solving)". And pathologists can help with auditory processing disorders, which is "the inability to understand spoken language in the absence of a hearing problem."

Pathologists can be found in schools in your area, hospitals, rehab centers, institutes and private agencies, home care, adult day care centers, community clinics, etc.

Source: http://www.asha.org/students/professions/overview/sld.htm

Added by Kaley Walker